Monday, August 18, 2008

There be gold in them mines, Water in them Tubs, Snow in them Mountains! Mehico is just plain hot!

It´s been a while since I´ve written here. For that, I´m sorry, but my access to internet was very short, and was never enough to write down what I felt. Also, I had to regroup myself.

I found out today that my girlfriend left me for one of my best friends.
I feel like I´m a “stranger in paradise”.

Well, I could talk about how I feel forever, but I still need to think about it myself…
It just hurts, you know…

So, let me start where I left off.

I left the family Cearley last week. I want to thank them again. They were awesome.

After that was a travel day. (I had Russ as a bus-date) We went up to the mountains of Breckenridge and stopped in an old gold-mine. I took a lot of pictures there, that might be a visual aid in a Dungeons and Dragons adventure I’m currently thinking about writing and to play it in the future. It was a lot of fun up there, and the location was awesome. I took some pictures of Chipmunks too. (They are like land-squirrels), while they were eating out of my hand.

Well, after a day, we arrived in Breckenridge (Indeed, the place where they recorded "Dumb and Dumber". You're so good to know that!). I got paired up with Eduardo (from Venezuela) as my roommate, and 2 people from a cameracrew (John and Dan) as housemates. We were all placed in the house of the family "Anderson". The family was: Rae (mom), Parker (son) and Sutton (daughter). They were just awesome. They brought us to every location every day.
Every night was a “party”-night. I mean:
Day 1: we all stayed in the Jacuzzi with some other families (that also hosted UWP-students) for a few hours.
Day 2: It was Fenna’s birthday, so her hostfamily came over (the hostfamilies all seem to know eachoter) and we all had a big Barbeque. Then we went over to her family to have some party in they’re basement, where we played pool, and I learned poker. (I kind of 30-folded my starting money)
Day 3: Again, spent a few hours in the Jacuzzi.
Day 4: I decided to change the name “Breckenridge” to “Party-city”.

Well, on day 5, we already left, which was too bad. I really enjoyed being there. The family is just awesome. Parker is a student in animation-movie-making and wants to travel around the world. I invited him to come to the Netherlands someday.

It’s just too-bad that we couldn’t have a “host-family-day” there, since I would have loved it.

Now, these days from a more “work”-perspective.

We went to our first CI (Community Impact) location on day 2. Together with Paulina, Linda, Eduardo and Catherine we painted the local “conference-room”, which is used for almost every important person, or so they said. They were really happy with the result.

The next day, I went to another school (elementary) where we, together with Russ, Jenny, Annika and Mitch cleaned up the look of the school, which involved:
Plucking weeds, painting benches, painting playing-objects and that kind of stuff. We had a lot of fun there, which included fooling around.

The day after was a show-day (Day 4), and we spent the whole day preparing for the show. I really enjoyed it, but it was a lot of work.
We also practiced the “Mexican-medley” a lot there, since it would be a few days before we left to go there.

The second show was a huge success, and it was almost 2 times as good as the first one. The people really enjoyed it and I was really happy that it worked out just fine.

My host family gave the show a 9 out of 10, which is not bad, considered this is the second show ever.
I also met the parents of Jordan (another student). They were really nice people, but since it was short, I didn’t get their contact-address. This is the third family (after Ben’s parents, the Cearleys and Zach’s family, the Murphys).
I really like how they are asking their kids to meet me. I feel like a celeb, but hey, it doesn’t get to my head, does it?

Well, you know, after the show I got to sign 3 autographs which felt really cool. People asking for that, most of them little kids.
I also interviewed a potential future UWP student. I think she will make a good chance. She’s from Ukraine and is very independent. Personally, I would recommend her.

The day after the showday was in a big room in an hotel, where we spent the rest of the day and night together. We had a lot of fun there, but waking up at 3 in the morning was a big pain in the ***.
We made it though, and I fell asleep in the bus again, with Ai as my bus-date. We arrived at the airport later on around 6 in the morning, where we left to Mexico. We traveled around the whole day, and after a few-hour-flight, which I almost slept through completely, we arrived in Mexico! Dread, was it hot!
Again, another bus-date, Lexi, and sleeping a lot again. After a while, we made a short stop to eat lunch and I bought some Mexican burrito’s. Man, where they good!

After a while we arrived in our final destination, La Paz, which felt as hot as hell! You sweat, even when you’re doing nothing with the air-conditioning on! Ah well, it’s worth it!

Now, I have Anthony A. (Staff member; light technician) as my roommate.

Today, we had a “rest”-day. I really needed that, since I almost didn’t get any sleep the last week.
My host-family exists of 2 people, which are in love and let us stay in their house. The girl is a teacher in “Law”, and the guy is her student. They are good people =)

I just finished my first few tequila’s, and I love it. It’s supposed to be a strong liquor, but it’s not that heavy, and I think I could drink a whole lot of it. I would love to drink more, but since I’m with a staff-member, it wouldn’t be such a good idea. And drinking enough booze to get a whole island drunk wouldn’t be such a good remembrance for my host-family here.

Since today is the birthday of the girl, we are going to have a party with her family later this evening. I’m looking forward to playing “Super Smash Brothers Brawl” with her brothers. I also hope I will have internet, to post this whole message (I’m typing this in Word) on my blog. Well, you will know when I had ;)

Let me conclude this whole message, since I just started on the 3rd page on letter-size 11. This will probably be the longest post I made, ever, so This will bore you.

I still need to learn the lyrics for the “Mexican-Medley” of the show, since it’s very hard.

I'm sorry, again no pictures, since this is I can't upload my pictures at the current location, somehow... Sorry!

Byebye,

I miss you, family and friends,

Bubbayz!


It's true, what they say
You can't always go home
You can't always be warm inside.
That in love we're like orphans,
Strangers in paradise

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi dear,
Very very happy to read you again. Quite some experiences hey! From the mountains of Colorado to the hot climate of Mexico. He, hombre! Was nice to hear the Mexican man calling you.
Please try to leave the personal sad feelings behind and be open-minded for the months to come.
Hope to see you in October???
Love and kisses - Jline

Anonymous said...

Frederik,
Sorry to hear your girlfriend left you. It must be hard to understand exactly how your current life might change, with events that shock you from that far away. Though you should not let anything get you down. As it seems you have a really closely connected cast, who I'm sure will help you keep up to what is important in your life. And as you explained before you might even built up new views on life. Stay open minded like your mother tells you, because there is so much to see, so much to learn, and maybe more to gain then you or I can imagine.
Even far away and with whatever the future brings us, I still consider you a friend and I wish you the best.

Petri

Anonymous said...

Dear Freek,
First of all, it is very nice to hear from you after several days. I just read your girlfriend left you. Bad news. Even though you must feel real sad, please know you have a wonderfull family (I mean 'gezin'), who truely love you and will never leave you. Allthough you might miss them a lot, and you feel far away, they are always near you. When you look into the sky, you watch the same stars. Believe me, a long time ago, I also felt a bit like a 'stranger in paradise' and cried when I was far away from home. But life continues. You get a great experience which nobody can take away from you. The experience will always be with you. You grow personally. You meet a lot of different people, and will probably always remember the nice ones. Try to stick to the unique experience, and enjoy each nice moment. You will meet a lot more people during the next few months.
In times of 'stranger', please know we love you.
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

(8) and you are far far away and the call of home is loud still as loud (8)

he man, ik doe het nu gewoon in het Nederlands. Lieve jongen, ik lees de reactie van jou en van de mensen die van je houden. Ik heb tranen over mijn wangen lopen. Ik mis het feit dat ik je lange krullenbol niet even tegen me aan kan houden om je te troosten. Ik ga niet zeggen wat je moet doen of hoe jij je moet voelen. No way.

Je vader houdt van je en kijkt er naar uit om samen met jou in de auto te zitten - 140 te scheuren en samen lekker te luisteren naar wewamol. You know what I mean!

Hoop dat je foto's van de mijnen zijn gelukt. Ben een beetje jaloers. Hé dude, tot gauw.

S

Anonymous said...

This town ain't big enough for the both of us.

He dude, long time no see! Good that we spoke on the phone several times. Too bad there's no internet available everywhere. Man are we hooked on that medium.

We look forward meeting you and your crew in October. YES, we are coming over. Too bad Pieke has to stay home. She has her pre-exams.

Ok - no further news for now.

Love you.

Dad