Monday, August 11, 2008

Show and depart

Yesterday was the day of our first show. We had a hell lot of fun!

The morning started with the dress-rehearsel, and there were quite some mistakes, but it doesn't matter! It was way fun!

Now, for the interesting part: the show was in the evening, and started at 3 o'clock. At 2 o'clock, the whole staff collected the cast, and we went to the "green room", which is the room where you chill out before and after the show as an artist.
There, we got to do some very intense things. For example; we got a speech, where we had to close our eyes. Our show manager, Gabe, started talking, and it got really emotional. It reminded you about the loved ones you left behind, and even though I got a good luck message from both my parents, I still felt a bit alone...
Matthew, a staff-member, started a tradition: He got a book, something like a diary, where you write a page in respect for another castmember. He wrote to Gwen from Switzerland, and now Gwen has the book, writing for someone else. (She really deserved it. She was the first person to open her heart to the complete cast, asking for help. That took some courage!)
But, there were good things too, it wasn't all emotional ;)
For example, we did some mood-setters. Yells. Fun games and stuff! Really cool, peeling potatoes and other things that were just good ice-breakers.

Well, the show:

The opening-song started, and I was playing the saxophone as expected. In fact, I got a solo, when a power-cable got unplugged, and the only sound in the whole room was the sax! It was so awkward and scary, but it got the dancers to finish their dance, and all was well in the end.
I don't want to brag, but I might have saved that moment...
Well, the rest of the show was just awesome. I got a feeling almost everything went well! The love medley was awesome to do (you know, the part with the comedy) and I got the feeling I was blazing fire from my sax during "Go-daddy-Oh".

In the song before the last song, our staffmembers came into the aisles of the audiance, carrying giant cardboards with texts like "Cast B, we love you", "You guys are great" and "Keep your eyes on the ball", almost the whole cast was ready to cry.
It was just so emotional... But it was a good emotional!

So, today was the last day with this host-family.
The Cearleys were awesome and I will never forget what they did for us. I had a good time here, and I certainly hope I will meet them again, later in my life. They are awesome!
Tomorrow is the day we are going to Breckonridge, west of Denver here. A 2 hour ride.

We will stay there for a week, before going to mexico.

Now I'm going to prepare myself.

Bubbayz!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hai there friend,

So good to see a positive message where you had a big personal problem to solve. Anyway, the show must go on - like your saxophpone. Beppe told me that Pake enjoyed the story of your sax saving the show. Chapeau!
We hope that we can contact your lovely home family just to thank them for their hospitality.

We hope that you have an even good stay in Breckenridge (?) did I spell it correctly?

Be good and be brave son.

Regards,

S&J

Anonymous said...

Hi Freek,
It was nice to read about your first show. You must be doing well as a sax player.
Have a nice time in Denver!
regards,
Charlotte