Saturday, November 15, 2008

Cheyenne, my home on the prairie: cowboyland!

Yeeeehaaah cowboy! Guess what!? I’ve been in cowboyland! xD
Listen to my story!

This week, I’ve stayed in Cheyenne, Wyoming, which is the “cowboystate”. And indeed, prairies and ranches all around my host family’s house! I stayed with this really awesome, cool hostfamily! (Lavelle and Ron) And on top of it: my hostbrother was Ouray, a native American (Navaho Indian)! You can guess: This is gonna be awesome!

So, like before, my parents were in town. They were here this whole week, and they got to meet my hostfamily too. They invited us all for diner, and everyone was very happy =) It was a good meal =)

Something else: This week was Genderweek. In this week, we discussed a lot about the roles that genders seem to have in our society. So, this complete week, everyone had to carry around an egg and take care of it, as if it was a child. Really challenging, making sure it doesn’t break.
And on top of it, on one day, we all had to show up in clothes of the opposite sex. So, almost all the girls got an overall or something really typical “manly”, together with a mustache, and a lot of guys wore dresses or skirts. Zach went the farthest, by shaving his legs… OMG!

Hehe, I have to say, this was one of my favourite cities!

Oh, there was this day that both my hostfamily and my real family and me and Ouray all went to the cowboyshop “the wranglers”. We had so much fun, trying on cowboyhats and stuff! My father, brother and me all bought a cowboyhat (If I’m not mistaken in the numbers).

Oeh, something else that was really cool this week was that my parents brought a “Sinterklaas”-costume with them. It’s a Dutch tradition to celebrate Sinterklaas, which comes along with a 3 week celebration. It’s so awesome!
So, everyone from the Netherlands did a culture presentation, which included an example of a small Sinterklaas-party! We had a lot of fun there!

Also, this week included the “expression session”. It’s a few hours where people are allowed to perform or express themselves for 3 minutes. Everyone that performed made it quite impressive.
Mayke and me did “Torn” by “Nathaly Embruglia” (or how you spell her name), where I was a mime. Never knew I could do that xD. I had make-up like the singer of KISS xD

Oh, for CI this week, we went to help out the State Law Library with their moving. They got a new building, and what I did was packing books for a few hours.
On the other day, we went to a homeless shelter, where we planted a tree, picked up trash, painted some walls and socialized with some homeless people.
Both CI’s where pretty cool!

And on the last day, my hostfamily got some pictures taken of me, dressed up as a cowboy. It was the first time I’ve ever sat on a horse xD
Guess what, when I got off, and we tried to put the horse back in the trailer, it escaped xD Hahaha, we had so much fun

This was really a great week. I loved it.

Love and greetings,
Bubbayz,
Frederik

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Freddy,
Good times we spent in Cheyenne with you, your fantastic hostparents/family and Ouray! Nice to make new friends. It was good to see you, to see you performing in the show and being Sinterklaas. Is there a video of the Torn-performance? Would love to see it.
Hugs and kisses
Jline